Garciaparra trade becoming reality
The Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez trade would make Nomar Garciaparra expendable.
- There are some players one cannot imagine in any uniform but the one they wore their entire careers. Cal Ripken, Jr., Stan Musial, Carl Yastrzemski, Mickey Mantle, Bob Gibson, Brooks Robinson -- these are all players whom we identify with one team and one team only. I had always assumed that Nomar Garciaparra was going to be one of those players and for that I am feeling a bit foolish.
Why? Because as good as he is -- and he's Hall of Fame good -- the Red Sox have a chance to get somebody who's even better while at the same time removing a financial and emotional thorn in their side. The proposed Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez trade appears to be very much in the works and that would make the honeymooning Nomar expendable.
Naturally, this has his agent, Arm Tellem, angry. "After all Nomar has done from the first day he stepped on the field for the Red Sox, to wake up on his honeymoon to read the paper and to see that John Henry is in direct talks with A-Rod is a total and complete slap in the face to Nomar," he told Shira Springer of the Boston Globe.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Cards 3B Carpenter signs $52 million deal
- Royals name Shields as Opening Day starter
- No extra replay in place for Australia games
- Royals' Hochevar needs Tommy John surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Youth Replica New York Yankees Alex Rodriguez #13 Home White Jersey
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog