New York lacking leadership
Rookie head coach Steve Stirling has discovered just how difficult it is to motivate this Islanders team.
- Former New York Islanders head coach Peter Laviolette should gain some peace of mind knowing he squeezed everything he could out of his team in two seasons before he was fired in June.
Disgruntled Islanders players convinced general manager Mike Milbury to fire Laviolette despite the fact he led the Islanders to their only two playoff appearances in the past eight years during his two seasons as coach.With a 5-8 record in November that closed with a five-game losing streak, rookie head coach Steve Stirling has discovered just how difficult it is to motivate this Islanders team, which has barely changed personnel since last season.Michael Peca has not been the same player this season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Sutter sends Pens past Ducks in shootout
- Luongo shuts out Sabres in return to Florida
- Franzen's 2 goals highlight Wings' barrage
- Rangers use late rally to outstrip Hurricanes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's New York Islanders Center Ice Collection Royal Softshell Jacket
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs