Boston closing in on veteran pitcher
Red Sox GM Theo Epstein was working overtime in an attempt to convince Curt Schilling to come to Boston.
- Today is decision day for Curt Schilling and the Boston Red Sox. The deadline for Schilling to take their offer and accept a trade from Arizona to Boston is 5:00 PM Eastern Time.
On February 20 of this year, I wrote the following about Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein: "One thing people seem to forget about hiring a 28-year old (now 29) to be a team's general manager is that ambitious people at that age tend to be hungry and willing to work themselves like rented backhoes."
Yesterday was the perfect illustration of that tendency. While the vast majority of us were taking the day off, Epstein was working overtime by dining with Curt Schilling and his family in an attempt to convince the Diamondback ace to come to Boston. Thanksgiving dinner might seems like an awkward place to negotiate a contract, doesn't it? But if a guy showed up at my house wanting to pay me eight figures a year, I'd damn well set another place for him as sure any of us would.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Reports: Cards 3B Carpenter inks $52M deal
- Royals' Hochevar needs Tommy John surgery
- Report: D-backs, Perez agree to $4.25M deal
- Nats' Fister held out with elbow inflammation
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Boston Red Sox Away Practice Red T-Shirt
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog