Mets will struggle to move catcher
Mike Piazza should no longer be catching and he has shown an unwillingness to play first base.
Updated: November 17, 2003, 11:46 AM ETBy Jim Baker | MLB Insider
Today would be a good day to see what the boys in the mail room have sifted out of the pile. Friday we discussed the persistent rumor that Mike Piazza could be dealt by the Mets. That brought this well-reasoned response:
- Jim: As a Knicks fan, I'm sick and tired of all the
"McDyess Will Be Back Any Day Now" stories. But, as a
Mets fan, I'm especially sick and tired of all the
Piazza trade rumors. He is not going anywhere, for a
variety of reasons:
- Mets still owe Piazza $30 million. Wilpon has let it be known that he is not going to eat anyone's contract. Why else is Roger Cedeno still on the Mets' roster? What team is going to take on a $30 million contract knowing that, in this deep free agent market, cheaper and younger alternatives to Mike Piazza are available?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Sources: Beltran, Yanks reach 3-year deal
- Source: Cano, M's agree on $240M deal
- Beard is back: Napoli, Red Sox agree to deal
- Sources: Mets, Granderson agree on $60M