Mets catcher might bolt town
Without Mike Piazza, the Mets would be shorn of the one marquee name they have left in their lineup.
Piazza remains the most popular Mets player and his loss for the better part of 2003 was among the many lowlights of their dismal year. When he's healthy he can still mash a ball with the best of them. The question is, how healthy is he going to be from here on out? After appearing in at least 135 games for seven consecutive seasons, Piazza was limited to 273 plate appearances last year by a groin injury. This is the downfall of being an offensive-minded catcher: when the travails associated with the position take their toll, there isn't a whole lot left to show.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Rangers trade Soria to Tigers for prospects
- Epstein not thrilled with Cards 'gift' draft pick
- Don't speak: McGwire done with Canseco
- Cespedes has 2 HRs, 5 RBIs but hurts thumb
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New Era Men's New York Mets 59Fifty 2014 Memorial Day Camo Authentic Hat