New York looking to dump salary
A shakeup is reportedly on the way for the Islanders despite a respectable 7-4-2 start.
Sometime this week the Islanders will dump gritty forward Jason Wiemer, according to Newsday and the New York Post. Islanders general manager Mike Milbury told Wiemer on Friday that he will be either waived or traded, according to the Post. While that might save the team most of Wiemer's $1.622 million salary, more upheaval is likely to follow.
"We heard that they were going to dump salary," an unidentified player told Newsday. "We figured it was the guys who were making money ... No team keeps two extra young guys on the roster just to watch."
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
- Maple Leafs sign Winnik to 1-year contract
- Brassard, Rangers agree on five-year deal
- Bruins add NHL vet Sacco to coaching staff
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Soft-Touch Men's New York Islanders John Tavares #91 Player Replica Royal T-Shirt