Bruins enjoying excellent start
Thirty-one seasons have passed since Boston last won the Stanley Cup, so Bruins fans are a skeptical bunch.
- Thirty-one seasons have passed since Boston last won the Stanley Cup, so Bruins fans are an understandably skeptical bunch. They've also been teased by teams far better than last season's entry that was the NHL's best through early December but was one of the worst of the second half.
So a 4-1-1 road trip and four-game winning streak, which included victories over Western Conference powers Colorado and Dallas and comeback wins over Los Angeles and Anaheim, isn't enough to convince Boston fans that this team will be different. And after Boston's lackluster 2-0 loss to Carolina on Thursday night, the 12,104 who bothered to show up at FleetCenter might consider giving up the keys to the bandwagon."We couldn't seem to muster the energy or the emotion we needed in order to be effective out there," Bruins rookie head coach Mike Sullivan told The Boston Globe. "It was a combination of things. We couldn't generate the energy or emotion to be effective and we played against a hungry team that plays a real conservative style and makes you work for your scoring chances. I thought early in the game we were too selective with the puck instead of simplifying the game and shooting."Brian Rolston leads the Bruins with five goals.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- St. Louis on trade: No time to be emotional
- Sabres ruin Stamkos return, Callahan debut
- Kings take 6th straight in Gaborik's debut
- Red Wings retire Lidstrom's No. 5
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Boston Bruins Knuckles Black T-Shirt
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs