Cubs must deal with disturbing trend
History has shown that teams do not fare well in the wake of near-clinchings that go awry.
Here is the recent accounting of teams that did basically what the Cubs did last night: lose Games 6 while on the verge of clinching:
1985 World Series: Yes, Don Denkinger blew the call. That is not disputable. The Cardinals entered the ninth inning of Game Six with a 1-0 lead and needing three outs to put away the Royals. They played a messy inning, got burned by a bad call and lost. They came out the next night and played pissed off which might work in football but resulted in an 11-0 thrashing in this case.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Mets pitching coach apologizes for Asian slur
- Brewers' Garza confident despite 19.06 ERA
- Tulowitzki hit by pitch on leg, is day to day
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Replica Chicago Cubs Anthony Rizzo #44 Road Grey Jersey