Mike Vanderjagt's foot (and mouth) give the Colts the kick they need.
Updated: October 14, 2003, 11:34 AM ETBy Tom Friend | ESPN The Magazine
- The evidence is stored away in Canada, collecting dust. A cable-TV tape, a Pro Bowl tape, a faxed letter. None of it will ever see the light of day, much less the inside of a courtroom, but, damn it, the Vanderjagt family has been tempted at times. Tempted to sue Peyton Manning. Tempted to sue every talking head. On what grounds? Try slander. Try watching a game with the father, who balls his fists up when an announcer refers to his son as "that liquored-up kicker." Try watching Monday Night Countdown with the mother, who wants to cry when Michael Irvin calls her son "a virus" in the locker room. Try being their son on the 35-yard line, about to kick a game-winning field goal, hearing a Browns linebacker say, "Want a beer first, Vanderjagt?"
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Sources: If no trade, Bucs likely to cut Revis
- Griffin pours in 37 as Clips take 8th in row
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com