Florida facing difficult challenge
In order to force a Game 7, the Marlins must best Mark Prior, the best pitcher to come into baseball in two decades.
Let's take a look at just a few of the precedents that involved teams in similar dire straits:
1924 World Series, Game 6
Art Nehf of the Giants pitched well but it wasn't good enough as New York lost Game Six to the Senators, 2-1 and then lost the next game and the Series 4-3. By this time in his career, Nehf was about league average, but he had been a top drawer guy in his day. Interestingly, he always pitched better in the World Series than he did in the regular season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Braves add Ervin Santana to bolster rotation
- Hamels: Arm 'really good' after pen session
- O's Wieters out several days with ankle sprain
- Braun signs first post-ban endorsement deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Chicago Cubs Cool Base Royal Batting Practice Jersey