Florida facing difficult challenge
In order to force a Game 7, the Marlins must best Mark Prior, the best pitcher to come into baseball in two decades.
Let's take a look at just a few of the precedents that involved teams in similar dire straits:
1924 World Series, Game 6
Art Nehf of the Giants pitched well but it wasn't good enough as New York lost Game Six to the Senators, 2-1 and then lost the next game and the Series 4-3. By this time in his career, Nehf was about league average, but he had been a top drawer guy in his day. Interestingly, he always pitched better in the World Series than he did in the regular season.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Marlins turn back Nats with 4-run rally in 9th
- Rangers' Darvish K's 8 in win over Yankees
- Cabrera, Dickey help Jays trample Red Sox
- D-backs outlast Reds, get win in 15th inning
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Chicago Cubs 1942 "HEALTH" War Patch T-Shirt