Veteran suprised by team's approach
The Stars payroll slashing has not trickled down to Mike Modano, who will make at least $9 million this season.
- Here's a quick look at some notable news from around the preseason in the NHL:
Dallas Stars -- Dallas fans weren't the only ones disappointed in the Stars' sudden halt in free spending this summer.
Stars center Mike Modano suspects the claims of $40 million in losses by the Texas Rangers, which is also owned by Stars owner Tom Hicks, were to blame for cost-cutting that led to the departure of free agent defenseman Derian Hatcher to Detroit.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Sutter sends Pens past Ducks in shootout
- Luongo shuts out Sabres in return to Florida
- Franzen's 2 goals highlight Wings' barrage
- Rangers use late rally to outstrip Hurricanes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Custom Men's Ottawa Senators White Away Premier Jersey
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs