Veteran suprised by team's approach
The Stars payroll slashing has not trickled down to Mike Modano, who will make at least $9 million this season.
Dallas Stars -- Dallas fans weren't the only ones disappointed in the Stars' sudden halt in free spending this summer.
Stars center Mike Modano suspects the claims of $40 million in losses by the Texas Rangers, which is also owned by Stars owner Tom Hicks, were to blame for cost-cutting that led to the departure of free agent defenseman Derian Hatcher to Detroit.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Canes captain Staal has core muscle surgery
- King, L.A. agree to 3-year, $5.85 million deal
- Habs add Lacroix, Ramage to coaching staff
- Wild re-sign winger Fontaine to 2-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Ottawa Senators Dart Cabinet