St. Louis might dump veteran Martinez
The Cardinals and their fans are realizing that intangibles don't mean a thing in the face of declining production?
What about "veteran presence?" What about "leadership?" What about all those silly things people wrote about him being a "proven winner" when the Cardinals signed Tino Martinez? Is all that out the window now? If Jeff Gordon has his way about things, yes, it is.
Writing in today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Gordon grades the 2003 performances of all the Cardinals players and rates Martinez "Poor." What is more, he adds that Martinez, one of the nicer guys in the game by repute, "did his part to make the clubhouse a more miserable place." When a player you have brought in as much for his production as for his morale-building qualities becomes a gloomy Gus, what have you got left? That's right: nothing.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Emotional Thomas, Torre headline HOF class
- Ortiz's homer reignites Red Sox-Rays rivalry
- Dodgers best Peavy, Giants to cap off sweep
- Cards' Wainwright gets majors-best 13th win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Soft As A Grape Women's St. Louis Cardinals Sequin Red Full-Zip Hoodie