Letdowns, revenge spotlight interesting picks
The Longhorns want to make up for the egg it laid against Arkansas, and a number of teams are ripe for a big letdown.
- Going against a team the week after a huge emotional game is never a bad proposition. Last week, 11 teams were coming off of highly emotional games the week before. Had you gone against those 11, regardless of the number, you would have won nine and lost two. This week, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Mississippi, Troy State, Colorado State, Cal, Purdue, Minnesota and Utah fit the description. We'll watch their results carefully.
Revenge is another good motive. Saturday, before a national TV audience, Texas has a chance to make up for its embarrassing loss on national TV to Arkansas. Kansas State, which is not the Kansas State we have known, is the unlucky visitor to Austin. The combination makes Texas our best play of the week. We also think the Miami Hurricanes and the Texas Tech Red Raiders will be celebrating early and often this week.
Miami (-25½) over West Virginia: Miami should dominate in every phase of the game. The so-called "offensive problem" will disappear against West Virginia's young and inexperienced squad. Speed is the biggest difference. With a nine-day break before the Florida State game, we think Miami will keep its mind on business.
The play: Miami, two units up to 27½, one unit at 28 or higher.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE INSIDER HEADLINES
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- NCAA, conferences sued over scholarships
- Gay ND tennis player: Support overwhelming
- BYU's Mahoney tosses no-hitter vs. Nicholls St.
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM