Don't be fooled by the scowl. Derrick Brooks will just as easily lend you a hand as lay you out.
Updated: September 19, 2003, 3:24 PM ETBy David Fleming | ESPN The Magazine
- Someone's out there, in the dark. And he's the only man who can calm Jon Gruden's fear. We're back in March, just six weeks after Gruden and the Bucs won Super Bowl XXXVII, and the coach can't sleep. After the celebrations, the parades and even a seat next to Dave Letterman, Gruden is already haunted by doubt. No one can repeat in today's NFL, he thinks. Look at your team, all fat and happy, lying around enjoying its success. Your guys are like big, ripe tomatoes, just ready to be picked. And so Gruden rises in the middle of the night and drives to the team's practice facility, where, after an hour of work, he meets up with strength coach Garrett Giemont for a predawn run.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Sources: Lakers talk state of team after rout
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Noah declines to talk about Carmelo 'gossip'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Great American Products Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2-Piece GameBall Coffee Mug Set
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com