Braves most masochistic good team ever?
The Braves are perhaps the most abused very good team in the history of the game.
Updated: September 12, 2003, 12:07 PM ETBy Jim Baker | MLB Insider
- As George Carlin used to say, "here are some scores:" 15-6, 14-4, 17-1, 18-5, 16-2, 12-5 and 20-1. Looks like somebody has been getting their butts whooped up on pretty regular-like doesn't it? Who might that be -- one of the poor unfortunates crawling along the bottom of baseball's tank, absorbing everybody else's abuse? No, it's the front-running Atlanta Braves, perhaps the most abused very good team in the history of the game. That's a rather broad statement so let me define my terms and focus on the expansion era. The Braves lost to the Phillies 18-5 on Tuesday night, putting their winning percentage for the year at .628. That's a pretty good clip. Since 1961, only 26 teams have played that well, not including strike seasons. Of those 26, how many were knocked around in as many individual games like the Braves have been this year?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Royals' Hochevar needs Tommy John surgery
- Report: D-backs, Perez agree to $4.25M deal
- Nats' Fister held out with elbow inflammation
- Padres' Maybin to avoid surgery on biceps
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Atlanta Braves Navy/Red Track Jacket
- MLB Home
- AL East
- Baltimore Orioles
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Yankees
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- AL Central
- Chicago White Sox
- Cleveland Indians
- Detroit Tigers
- Kansas City Royals
- Minnesota Twins
- AL West
- Houston Astros
- Los Angeles Angels
- Oakland Athletics
- Seattle Mariners
- Texas Rangers
- Fantasy: Sign up!
- Spring blog
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com