Martz still lacking as a head coach
Updated: September 15, 2003, 12:25 PM ETBy By Darrell Trimble | NFL Insider
Mike Martz's mastery of Xs and Os is unmatched, but as a head coach he just doesn't seem to get it. He has shown a penchant for wasting timeouts and ignoring Marshall Faulk, and on Sunday his decision-making was a huge reason the Rams lost to the Giants. The hard part might be deciding which decision was the worst. Consider:
He twice passed up decent field goal opportunities in the fourth quarter and ended up turning the ball over on downs when Kurt Warner couldn't convert. Down by 10, the Rams were going to need a field goal at some point anyway, but he apparently wanted more and ended up with nothing.
AP PhotoKurt Warner was sacked six times against the Giants.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch at camp after ending holdout
- Rice: 'I made the biggest mistake of my life'
- 49ers, Harbaugh table contract talks for now
- Manziel on NFL learning curve: It'll take time
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Party Animal St. Louis Rams Applique Banner Flag