Inside the MAC
Updated: August 26, 2003, 5:26 PM ETBy Adam Rittenberg | Special to ESPN Insider
- From Akron and Kent State preparing to open the season against a conference foe and rival, to a QB battle at Cenral Michigan, to life after Byron Leftwich at Marshall to Heisman candidate Michael Turner, Insider has the lowdown on the MAC. Akron
- Akron coach Lee Owens knows his team's season-opening matchup with Kent State is a marketer's dream: warm weather, under the lights, the Wagon Wheel trophy at stake. But he wouldn't mind pushing the game back a week or two. "From a pure coach's perspective, it's tough to open up with a conference team, a divisional team and a rival," Owens said. "You wish you had a chance to put a few games under your belt."
- Owens hasn't been shy about shifting positions during the offseason. Nine players have swapped spots, including five players going from offense to defense. Among the changes is sophomore DT Andy Wills, who moves over from the offensive line.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE INSIDER HEADLINES
- NCAA, conferences sued over scholarships
- Gay ND tennis player: Support overwhelming
- BYU's Mahoney tosses no-hitter vs. Nicholls St.
- Lundquist to receive Scully broadcasting award
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com