Bettis battling to remain the starter
Updated: August 19, 2003, 7:31 AM ETBy By Ryan Early | NFL Insider
The Steelers of old were known for a power running game thanks to Jerome Bettis banging behind one of the best offensive lines in the league. Although Bettis has struggled with injuries and age the last two years, he is looking good so far in camp and may retain his starting job. However, the O-line is in trouble as it has two new starting tackles, guard Kendall Simmons was diagnosed with diabetes before the start of camp, and center Jeff Hartings is seeking outside opinions over his slow to heal knee. The defense figures to be better with the healthy return of linebacker Kendrell Bell and added depth at safety with exciting rookie Troy Polamalu.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Snyder won't intervene with RG III
- Rodgers experiencing pain, status uncertain
- Jerry backs Kiffin: 'Nobody I would rather have'
- Sources: Cowboys LB Lee has no neck damage
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Highland Mint Pittsburgh Steelers Troy Polamalu Panoramic Photo Mint