Parcells to establish a team identity
Updated: July 30, 2003, 11:39 AM ETBy By Len Pasquarelli | ESPN.com
SAN ANTONIO - Much has been made of the history of Bill Parcells' success in his second season with a franchise. In all three of his previous head coaching stops -- the New York Giants, New England Patriots and New York Jets -- he stewarded his clubs to playoff appearances in his second year on the job.
But in each of those circumstances, Parcells succeeded in his first season in laying a solid foundation, and establishing a springboard that permitted the team to take a quantum leap the following season. It is, essentially, the Parcells Way. To paraphrase one of his most famous pronouncements, you do the shopping in the first year, and then cook the meal in the second.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Lions table talks with Suh until after season
- NFL VP defends length of Rice suspension
- Source: Gordon hires former Sherman rep
- Peterson: Vikes' offense no longer 'predictable'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Great American Products Dallas Cowboys Grub Jug