Polamalu is key to Steelers' secondary
Updated: July 25, 2003, 11:45 AM ETBy By Darrell Trimble | NFL Insider
With the Pittsburgh Steelers training camp set to start on Saturday, there is likely to be one notable absence on the field -- rookie safety Troy Polamalu. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review is reporting that talks between Polamalu's agent, Marvin Dermoff, and the Steelers' front office have bogged down and the 16th overall pick will probably not be in camp. That's bad news for the Steel Curtain, which last year was beaten like a steel drum through the air. The presence of Polamalu is so important because instead of making wholesale personnel changes to improve the defense's performance against the pass, the Steelers opted to bring back 11 of their 12 starters on D and try to change their scheme. Polamalu was to be lone new addition, and he would add the speed and coverage ability that Lee Flowers failed to provide.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Belichick says Patriots 'followed every rule'
- NFL conducts 40 interviews into 'Deflategate'
- Revis: Brady clears air in Patriots' meeting
- NFLPA: Players shouldn't talk 'Deflategate'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Home Limited Jersey Pittsburgh Steelers Troy Polamalu #43 - Extended Sizes