Cubs can compete, but not at status quo
Updated: July 17, 2003, 8:16 AM ETBy Jim Baker
Due to the fortunes of geography, the Cubs -- the team with the 11th-best record in the National League -- can still realistically consider themselves a viable contender for the National League Central title. What has to happen for them to win the division?
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MLB HEADLINES
- Trumbo heads to D-backs in 3-team trade
- Mulder, out since 2009, attempts comeback
- GM: Cabrera on target for spring training
- Rakuten prez: No decision on Tanaka's future
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Chicago Cubs Royal Speedwick Performance T-Shirt