McFarland deal could spell end for Sapp
Updated: June 26, 2003, 11:47 AM ETBy By Darrell Trimble | NFL Insider
Some people call him Booger and others call him Baby Sapp, but soon Anthony McFarland hopes to be referred to as one of the highest paid defensive tackles in the NFL. McFarland, who is in the final year of his original rookie contract, recently told the Tampa Tribune he is optimistic he will report to training camp July 18 with a new deal. McFarland missed six games last season because of a broken forearm and a fractured foot, but he continued to show people that he's a force to be reckoned with. In fact, some people feel that he's already better than Warren Sapp, who is also in his walk year. What is troublesome for the Bucs is that in order to keep McFarland they'll have to pay him such a great sum of money that it prohibits them from keeping both interior linemen on the roster.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Cards, CB Peterson agree to record $70M deal
- Sources: Gordon faults secondhand smoke
- Police: Cards' Abraham passed out at wheel
- Ryan on Jets' big boasts: 'It's who we are'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- 5th & Ocean Women's Tampa Bay Buccaneers Breast Cancer Awareness Pink T-Shirt