Devils' grizzled warrior goes out in style
Updated: June 10, 2003, 11:43 AM ETBy By Jim Wilkie | NHL Insider
He's been on the same team longer than any active player in the four major professional sports and hadn't missed a playoff game in the history of the New Jersey Devils until this year. Gradually, Devils defenseman Ken Daneyko became a healthy scratch more often than he played and it looked as if the veteran of 20 NHL seasons would never play again. Time had been creeping up on Daneyko, but with the Devils facing a winner-take-all Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, it was time for the 39-year-old graybeard to return.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'happy' Peverley able to visit practice
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Capitals bring back Orlov for two years, $4M
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's New Jersey Devils Rollins Red Fleece Hoodie