Laviolette pays for Milbury's mistakes
Updated: June 4, 2003, 4:23 PM ETBy By Jim Wilkie | NHL Insider
The only thing more stunning than Peter Laviolette losing his job as head coach of the New York Islanders on Tuesday was that GM Mike Milbury kept his.
Laviolette had a 77-62-19-6 record in his first two seasons as a head coach, twice leading the Islanders to the playoffs after the team had missed the postseason for seven consecutive years.
Back-to-back playoff appearances weren't enough to save Peter Laviolette's job.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Struggling Flames fire GM Feaster, assistant
- Wings goalie Howard (knee) out 2-4 weeks
- Flyers' Schenn hit with max cross-checking fine
- Blackhawks' Mayers retires after 15 seasons
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's New York Islanders Royal Succeed Quarter-Zip Jersey Fleece Pullover