Laviolette pays for Milbury's mistakes
Updated: June 4, 2003, 4:23 PM ETBy By Jim Wilkie | NHL Insider
The only thing more stunning than Peter Laviolette losing his job as head coach of the New York Islanders on Tuesday was that GM Mike Milbury kept his.
Laviolette had a 77-62-19-6 record in his first two seasons as a head coach, twice leading the Islanders to the playoffs after the team had missed the postseason for seven consecutive years.
Back-to-back playoff appearances weren't enough to save Peter Laviolette's job.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Canes captain Staal has core muscle surgery
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
- Maple Leafs sign Winnik to 1-year contract
- Brassard, Rangers agree on five-year deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Custom Men's New York Islanders White Away Premier Jersey