Laviolette pays for Milbury's mistakes
Updated: June 4, 2003, 4:23 PM ETBy By Jim Wilkie | NHL Insider
The only thing more stunning than Peter Laviolette losing his job as head coach of the New York Islanders on Tuesday was that GM Mike Milbury kept his.
Laviolette had a 77-62-19-6 record in his first two seasons as a head coach, twice leading the Islanders to the playoffs after the team had missed the postseason for seven consecutive years.
Back-to-back playoff appearances weren't enough to save Peter Laviolette's job.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
- Read, Flyers shut out short-handed Penguins
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games New York Islanders 16'' Tiffany Lamp