Neilson pushes on despite cancer
Updated: May 16, 2003, 12:33 PM ETBy By Jim Wilkie | NHL Insider
Playoff time brings out numerous stories of hard work, overcoming adversity and fighting the odds on a quest to win the Stanley Cup. Of all of them this year, none is as compelling as Ottawa assistant coach Roger Neilson's. The 68-year-old longtime coach is fighting bone and skin cancer, but travels with the Senators whenever possible during the playoffs despite a condition that's left him frail, gaunt and sometimes unsteady on his feet. Fighting for his life, Neilson soldiers on in his quest for his first Stanley Cup.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
- Canucks win SO; Kesler hurt, out 'a while'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- The Highland Mint Ottawa Senators Canadian Tire Centre Signature Rink Photo