Shaun White, snowboarding's hottest star, is set to blow it up in skateboarding, too. Not bad for your basic mom-and-apple pie teenager.
Updated: May 12, 2003, 12:27 PM ETBy Allison Glock
- Shaun White wants to go to the prom. He doesn't have a date or a tuxedo. He doesn't even really attend high school, at least not when he's traveling, which is most of the year. Even so, Shaun has this idea that the prom is something he should do, that he needs to immerse himself in the whole cheeseball, heartbreaking, hunch-punch, cover band wonder of it all, just to be like every other 16-year-old suburban kid for a night -- the kids who aren't world-class professional snowboarders living in a Carlsbad, Calif., seaside house that they own; the kids who don't win cars in Japan on the weekends or have a garage full of free sneakers and enough money to make work optional for life. Shaun White wants to go to the prom simply because that's what young American kids do, and Shaun White could not be more the young American if he tried.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Rockets turn on burners in 3rd, rout Pacers
- Reports: Saints to release Sproles if no trade
- Source: Jackson 'ready to go back to work'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com