Kobe on the Backlash
They said he was too young and too selfish. That just made Kobe work harder.
Updated: April 17, 2003, 6:06 PM ETBy Kobe Bryant with Ric Bucher, ESPN The Magazine
Thick skin. That's what I needed most coming directly to the NBA from high school. I was young and getting a lot of attention, and that brought on a lot of jealousy. Especially after shooting those damn air balls. People said, "He's too young to take those shots, he's going to fall off the face of the earth now." Then the following year I started in the All-Star Game when I wasn't even starting on my own team. People talked like I stuffed the ballot box.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Winston, McCarron take home top awards
- Rivers, Chargers hand Broncos rare home loss
- Four people stabbed in Broncos' parking lot
- McCarron: Saban said he's staying at Bama
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth L.A. Lakers Kobe Bryant Replica Revolution 30 Purple Basketball Jersey