We Got ... Now
Think women have no game? You don't know what you're missing.
Updated: April 5, 2003, 10:18 PM ETBy By Eric Adelson, ESPN The Magazine
- When the wake-up calls rang at 7:30 on the morning of the 1999 Women's World Cup final, not one player in the Pasadena Doubletree had any idea of what was coming. How could they? How could they have foreseen the Good Morning America appearance, the Wheaties box, the standing O at Madison Square Garden, the ride on Air Force Two with Hil and Chelsea? This was a group that, when they found themselves stuck in gridlock on the way to a first-round game at Giants Stadium, wondered aloud, "Where is everyone going?" A group whose oldest player once had to sew U, S and A on her own jersey. A group that teasingly called one of its defenders Hollywood because her love of the dramatic was too melodramatic for women's soccer.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- Tiger surges up Doral leaderboard with 66
- Source: Phil considers Knicks front-office job
- Alvarez dispatches Angulo with TKO in 10th
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com