Emerging Stars or
One Week Wonders? Week 4
Updated: September 30, 2002, 9:51 AM ETBy by Ryan Early
- Each week, players seem to come from nowhere for an outstanding performance. Sometimes they're new stars, or solid contributors who become important parts of their teams. Other times they fade back into obscurity whence they came. Telling the difference takes looking at their history, their talent level and discerning just how they achieved their breakthrough performance. Week 4 saw more teams enter undefeated since the AFL/NFL merger in 1970. Exiting Sunday night, the San Diego Chargers were the only 4-0 team in the league. Of course, the Broncos hadn't played their Week 4 game yet, and the 3-0 Raiders were right on their tails in the ultra-competitive AFC West. Several of the players below were instrumental in giving their teams a muc- needed victory, while a couple backup quarterbacks' solid play may give them an increase in playing time. Joey Harrington, QB, Lions
Sunday's performance: 20 of 35 passing for 267 yards, 1 touchdown and 0 interceptions.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Sources: If no trade, Bucs likely to cut Revis
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
- Staying in the nest: Seahawks retain Bennett
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com