Who were the top strikers
in this year's World Cup?
Updated: July 1, 2002, 2:21 PM ETBy by Jon Passman, STATS. Inc.
- Well, the obvious answer to anyone who followed the World Cup in its entirety is Ronaldo. Even those who just tuned in for the final game should be able to produce his name in answering this question. Brazil's star striker finally put to rest the ghosts of 1998, when he was struck with a mysterious illness right before the championship game against France, by scoring both goals in Brazil's 2-0 victory over Germany. That said, let's look at the others who joined Ronaldo in the upper echelon of goal scorers. In order to compare the contestants fairly, we are judging on a simple mathematical equation: goals per 90 minutes. This way, we can get a truer look at who the best strikers were, even if their teams didn't advance out of the opening round.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Bynum to make Pacers debut against Celtics
- Sources: Johnson to Bucs on massive deal
- Source: Ware wants Cowboys' call by 4 ET
- Stars' Peverley undergoing tests on heart
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com