From Moe to Mo.: Seeking talent in Illinois and Missouri
Updated: May 31, 2002, 12:41 PM ETBy By Tom Lemming, ESPN.com college football recruiting analyst | ESPN.com
- ST. LOUIS, March 27 -- On the first leg of my 2002 road trip, I left home in suburban Chicago and headed south to Springfield, Ill., where I saw two very good players. LB Zach Kettelcamp (6-3, 235) of Griffin H.S. made 117 tackles as a junior, has good quickness and could grow into a DL in college. One of his teammates could be one of the best RBs in Midwest: Kenni Burns (6-0, 190), who had a broken foot during part of last season and still had a productive campaign. He's a big-time player and has heard from a lot of schools already. I next traveled east to Decatur to see probably the top DL in the Midwest, Moe Dampeer (6-5, 275) of McArthur H.S. Unfortunately, a big snowstorm hit the area Monday night and closed all the schools in the city, but I was still able to get together with Dampeer's coach and parents and watch his film. He's a terrific inside player with All-American potential who was double-teamed on every play last season and still had 12½ sacks. He'll be one of the most recruited interior DL prospects nationally and already has 11 offers. Then it was on to St. Louis, where I escaped the snow but not the cold; I had to do several interviews outside in 30-degree weather because some of the schools were closed. But I was able to see most of the top players in the area. RB Gerald Davis (6-0, 212) of Pattonville H.S. is a big-time player, and a teammate, Corey Henley (5-8, 165), is an explosive TB/CB. QB Jamiah Wade (6-0, 150) of Riverview Gardens H.S. is a perpetual winner who could play CB in college and is a definite D-I player. I liked his explosiveness; he's one of the better skill-position players in the state.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Spurs breeze past Heat with Duncan in form
- LeBron says sleeved jersey partly to blame
- Manziel inks endorsement contract with Nike
- Ex-girlfriend: Pistorius had gun 'all the time'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com