Players have fantasy
owners in mind
Updated: August 19, 2003, 10:32 AM ETBy Steve Young | Special to ESPN Insider
- Fantasy football has really blossomed in the last 10 years. When I was playing in the NFL, I was more than aware of fantasy football, as most players are. I have never participated in a fantasy league, but I knew that when I played well it boosted my value in fantasy leagues all over the country. Football players have a ton of people they need to please -- coaches, teammates, the media, their families, fans and, yes, fantasy football owners. Even when I scored touchdowns with the 49ers, it would cross my mind. I would think, "Hey, the fantasy guys are going to love that." Players get a lot of mail, much of it from people who have picked them in their fantasy leagues. I would get mail from people saying, "You are my fantasy quarterback. I need you this year. So make sure you run it in from 1-yard line or throw for a touchdown." The letters would detail how their leagues were run and how many yards and touchdowns I needed to get.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Sources: If no trade, Bucs likely to cut Revis
- Jets release Holmes, create more cap space
- Staying in the nest: Seahawks retain Bennett
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com