The first of 35 bowls will kick off on December 15 and ESPN Insiders Phil Steele and Will Harris keep ESPN's Bowl Mania in mind as they break down the matchups and offer their thoughts on the biggest games of the year. Who will they award the most confidence points? What teams are going to surprise the nation? Steele and Harris take two different approaches as they make their predictions.
The topics include:
• Steele's picks for the most vulnerable of the double-digit favorites are Georgia, Arizona State and USC. What has made him a little uncomfortable with each of those selections?
• Harris announces his safest pick.
• Steele lists three teams that are double-digit favorites that he is extremely comfortable choosing and listing at the top of the confidence plays.
• What factor is preventing Harris from taking Georgia Tech?
• Steele and Harris both choose Fresno State, but are far from confident choosing them against SMU.
• Both agree that the double-digit spread in the National Title game is a little overboard and explain why Notre Dame will keep the game close or even win.
• Steele is more confidence in Texas Tech than Harris, but both agree the Red Raiders offense will be too much for Minnesota.
• How coaching changes could hurt some teams, including San Jose State, during their bowl games.
• Harris offers some general bowl-picking advice and why some edges aren't revealed until later in the bowl season.
• Harris picks Western Kentucky as part of his top 10, but Steele argues that for a number of reasons, you can't count out Central Michigan.
• Will Baylor's effective offense not be enough to top UCLA?
• Steele and Harris both make strong arguments for each team, but disagree on the St. Petersburg bowl champion.
• Is Duke poised for a Belk Bowl victory?
• Boise State will be prepared for their game against Washington.
• Steele and Harris agree that Northwestern won't let a lead slip away in the Gator Bowl.
• Harris explains why Arizona is vulnerable against Nevada.
• What are the games that are simply too close to call and will receive the fewest confidence points?