The actual All-Star game is only one item on the agenda during the three-day mid-season experience and Eric Karabell was in Kansas City to be right in the center of all the action. Karabell spoke to some of the all-stars including Jim Johnson, Joe Mauer, Ryan Cook, Adam Dunn, Chris Sale, Mike Napoli, Adam Jones, Matt Holliday, Huston Street, Wade Miley, Ryan Braun, Gio Gonzalez, Matt Kemp and Buster Posey.
Karabell asks Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer about his health and his future at his position, what Oakland Athletics closer Ryan Cook believed he would be doing this season and what goals Ryan Braun sets each season.
Other topics include:
• How Baltimore pitcher Jim Johnson approaches his role as a closer instead of a middle reliever.
• If Billy Butler feels he's making the right adjustments at the plate this season and why Eric Hosmer will rebound from his current struggles.
• What Adam Dunn is doing differently in 2012 and his approach to facing tough left-handed pitchers.
• Chris Sale's thoughts on being a starter and how it's helped his strikeout rate.
• The key for Adam Jones' focus this season and how he's dedicated to improving.
• What Matt Holliday thinks about the difference in atmosphere in the Cardinals clubhouse after Albert Pujols left the team.
• Why Huston Street finds it easier to recover in San Diego compared to Colorado
• What first-time all-star Wade Miley believes is the key to adjusting to his opponents and what he thinks of rookie Trevor Bauer.
• Gio Gonzalez discusses the real differences between the American and National Leagues and the ceiling for Bryce Harper.