Ranking the top 50 dynasty players
Trent Richardson tops the list of players in the dynasty fantasy football format
- Frank Victores/US PresswireRunning back Trent Richardson rushed for 950 yards and 11 touchdowns as a rookie last season.
Although not as common as standard fantasy football leagues, dynasty leagues are as close to owning an NFL franchise as most fans will usually come. Dynasty leagues differ from standard leagues in that once a draft is held, owners have the option to keep all of their roster. The key, of course, is about maximizing positional value.
Each subsequent year, a draft is held consisting only of incoming rookies. Owners must decide whether the rookies have more value than the players on their team -- much like a real NFL franchise. Being a dynasty owner is a year-round project -- even when games aren't being played, player values rise and fall and there are plenty of roster additions and trades in the offseason.
In terms of strategy, I tend to be more conservative with my first couple of picks and get riskier as the rounds progress. Owners want to balance winning in the short term with having a team built for the long haul.
Below is my ranking of the top 50 dynasty players if your league is holding a draft before the 2013 NFL season (with standard fantasy scoring).
1. Trent Richardson, RB, Cleveland Browns
Go back and look at some of the production of Norv Turner running backs. Maybe you recall some of the fantasy production that Emmitt Smith and LaDainian Tomlinson provided not so long ago? Turner believes in feeding a lead back over and over and Richardson's supporting cast in Cleveland is improving. He is young and an elite talent who also catches the ball very well. If you recall, I believe he will be the top running back in both 2015 and 2016, so picking him No. 1 overall was very easy for me.
To read the rest of Matt Williamson's ranking of the top 50 dynasty players, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT KIT
The 2013 fantasy football season is almost here. Start preparing for your draft with our rankings, projections, profiles and more! Draft Kit »
MORE DRAFT KIT CONTENT
- ...While The Iron's Not Hot
- Matt Williamson lists his favorite buy-low trade targets for dynasty leagues.
- Should You Run The Risk?
- Christopher Harris breaks down DeMarco Murray and discusses his expectations for 2014.
- Offseason Focus
- The Fantasy Focus crew previews the NFC East and North for 2014.