Kiper's fantasy rookie keepers
Late-round rookies who can be drafted and stored on fantasy rosters
If you're in a deeper fantasy football league, or a keeper league, you're not just looking at available rookies. No, you're probably already eyeballing depth charts and finding reasons to delay your draft so you can see more action from preseason games -- particularly second-half action, where you get to see rookies not just fighting for playing time but trying to make enough plays to land a roster spot. That's where this group comes into play.
On Tuesday, I took an early look at rookies I think could have the most fantasy value in 2013. This time around, I'm looking at the guys you're likely drafting to stash away for later in the season or who could emerge in 2014 as starters and viable fantasy options.
A couple rules:
• All of these guys were taken in the third round or later (or not at all) in the 2013 NFL draft.
• Unless I state otherwise, I see these more as draft-and-stash candidates, not players who will play a key role in Week 1.
With that in mind, let's take a look at some possible fantasy lottery tickets.
A steal in terms of talent, Allen carried a first-round grade on my board but San Diego was able to get him at No. 76 overall in the third round. Allen isn't a burner, but he knows how to create space as a route runner and becomes a tough tackle once he gets the ball in his hands. It wouldn't surprise me if Allen works his way into first-team reps early in 2013, especially after the season-ending injury to Danario Alexander.
To read Mel Kiper's full article on the top value fantasy rookies in the NFL this season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Hoops Forecaster: Feb. 2-8
- Carpenter: Roto strategy: Managing games played
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Feb. 2-8
- Kaiser: Which Gasol do you want in fantasy?
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
- TE 2014 Recap/2015 Preview
- Eric Karabell reviews the TE position in 2014 and has his early 2015 ranks.
- Early 2015 Rankings
- Where do Tom Brady and Russell Wilson rank in Matthew Berry's early 2015 ranks?