Top 10 impact fantasy rookies
Which rookies are in spots to provide the most fantasy value this season?
We might never see another rookie class that has as much early success as 2012's crop --that's how good Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson, Doug Martin, Alfred Morris & Co. were. And as we looked at the NFL draft class after Round 1 back in April, I think most fans were feeling extremely underwhelmed by the potential fantasy prospects.
• We didn't have a single position player drafted until No. 8 overall, and the Rams moved up to get Tavon Austin with that pick.
• There were no QBs taken in the top 10, and EJ Manuel isn't a lock to start after being the first QB taken at No. 15 overall.
• There were exactly zero running backs taken in Round 1.
But there will be some breakout first-year guys in 2013. It's simply inevitable. And while I'm not on par with other fantasy experts around these parts, here's my list of the top 10 fantasy impact rookies for this year.
As a note, a similar list exists in print, within the ESPN Fantasy Football 2013 guide. But I've shifted one player here as we get closer to the season.
I had him as my top RB in the draft, but toe injury concerns caused him to drop to the end of the second round. Despite concerns about his heft as he heads into the season, Lacy has all the skills you need, and he's going to a great offense. Even if fellow draftee Johnathan Franklin steals some carries, I bet Lacy is the goal-line guy from Week 1. A last bit on both Lacy and Franklin: I think the injury to Bryan Bulaga actually emphasizes the need for Green Bay to do more on the ground and keep some heat off Aaron Rodgers via the threat of the run, not just through good protection.
To read Mel Kiper's full article on the top impact fantasy rookies in the NFL this season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
- Love/Hate: Offseason Edition
- Matthew Berry breaks down the players whose fantasy value has been helped the most by NFL free agency.
- 2015 Offseason Rankings
- Our trio of analysts offer their early rankings for the 2015 fantasy football season.