Top 10 impact fantasy rookies
Which rookies are in spots to provide the most fantasy value this season?
- Mike McGinnis/Getty ImagesEddie Lacy could have the opportunity to start in Green Bay. How high is his fantasy potential?
We might never see another rookie class that has as much early success as 2012's crop --that's how good Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Russell Wilson, Doug Martin, Alfred Morris & Co. were. And as we looked at the NFL draft class after Round 1 back in April, I think most fans were feeling extremely underwhelmed by the potential fantasy prospects.
• We didn't have a single position player drafted until No. 8 overall, and the Rams moved up to get Tavon Austin with that pick.
• There were no QBs taken in the top 10, and EJ Manuel isn't a lock to start after being the first QB taken at No. 15 overall.
• There were exactly zero running backs taken in Round 1.
But there will be some breakout first-year guys in 2013. It's simply inevitable. And while I'm not on par with other fantasy experts around these parts, here's my list of the top 10 fantasy impact rookies for this year.
As a note, a similar list exists in print, within the ESPN Fantasy Football 2013 guide. But I've shifted one player here as we get closer to the season.
I had him as my top RB in the draft, but toe injury concerns caused him to drop to the end of the second round. Despite concerns about his heft as he heads into the season, Lacy has all the skills you need, and he's going to a great offense. Even if fellow draftee Johnathan Franklin steals some carries, I bet Lacy is the goal-line guy from Week 1. A last bit on both Lacy and Franklin: I think the injury to Bryan Bulaga actually emphasizes the need for Green Bay to do more on the ground and keep some heat off Aaron Rodgers via the threat of the run, not just through good protection.
To read Mel Kiper's full article on the top impact fantasy rookies in the NFL this season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- McKitish: Top FBA waiver-wire targets
- Stock Watch: Wood up; Davis down
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
Thanks to the CBA, this year's crop of free agents is positioned to hit the jackpot.
- ...While The Iron's Not Hot
- Matt Williamson lists his favorite buy-low trade targets for dynasty leagues.
- Should You Run The Risk?
- Christopher Harris breaks down DeMarco Murray and discusses his expectations for 2014.
- Offseason Focus
- The Fantasy Focus crew previews the NFC East and North for 2014.