How valuable are scrambling QBs?
Despite popular opinion, elite mobility doesn't translate to high fantasy value
- Matthew Emmons/US PresswireHow much extra fantasy value, if any, does a top scrambling QB like Robert Griffin III offer?
One of the biggest fantasy football stories of the 2012 season was the advent of the read-option quarterback. This instantly gave leagues a fairly deep set of dual-threat options and changed the way owners approach draft-day strategies, keeper choices and auction bids.
A potential 2013 season impediment for these owners is that every NFL defensive coordinator is working overtime to find ways to slow down or stop the read-option in its tracks.
Those labors bring up a quandary in dealing with mobility value, as that trait generally is divided into two areas: productivity on planned plays, and productivity on unplanned plays, which in this case are most often scramble-type plays.
Because the coordinators will concentrate most of their efforts on stopping the planned plays, how much added value will the scramble plays end up offering these fantasy owners? Will it be enough to warrant paying the extra cost for this skill set, or is it a price too high to pay for the expected return on investment?
To read more from KC Joyner on the fantasy value of scrambling quarterbacks, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT KIT
The 2013 fantasy football season is almost here. Start preparing for your draft with our rankings, projections, profiles and more! Draft Kit »
MORE DRAFT KIT CONTENT
- ...While The Iron's Not Hot
- Matt Williamson lists his favorite buy-low trade targets for dynasty leagues.
- Should You Run The Risk?
- Christopher Harris breaks down DeMarco Murray and discusses his expectations for 2014.
- Offseason Focus
- The Fantasy Focus crew previews the NFC East and North for 2014.