Players hurt by scheme changes
Jeremy Maclin among 10 players whose fantasy production could decrease
- Howard Smith/US PresswireJeremy Maclin may find fewer touches in Chip Kelly's new offense.
The Jets' decision to take wide receiver Stephen Hill in the second round of the 2012 NFL draft was a testament to the old scouting adage that teams draft traits, not production. After all, Hill finished with just 28 catches during his final season at Georgia Tech, but that was due in large part to the offensive system he played in.
Yellow Jackets head coach Paul Johnson, who previously coached at the Naval Academy, runs a triple option style of offense that severely limits wide receivers' opportunities. While Hill has work to do as a pro, his skills suggest he's more capable than the numbers he put up in college.
The marriage of scheme and talent directly impacts every player's production, with some working out better than others (we recently highlighted players whose production is likely to rise in 2013 with a change of scheme/scenery).
Like Hill at Georgia Tech, there are examples of NFL players whose talents won't be maximized based on a change of scheme or change of scenery for 2013.
Here's our list of 10 players whose fantasy value is due for a dip this season based on such a change, or by the presence of a newcomer in the offense who is likely to take away from his touches.
To read more from Field Yates on the fantasy players who could be hurt the most from scheme changes this coming season, you must be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
FANTASY FOOTBALL DRAFT KIT
The 2013 fantasy football season is almost here. Start preparing for your draft with our rankings, projections, profiles and more! Draft Kit »
MORE DRAFT KIT CONTENT
- ...While The Iron's Not Hot
- Matt Williamson lists his favorite buy-low trade targets for dynasty leagues.
- Should You Run The Risk?
- Christopher Harris breaks down DeMarco Murray and discusses his expectations for 2014.
- Offseason Focus
- The Fantasy Focus crew previews the NFC East and North for 2014.