Best, worst Week 16 matchups
Kaepernick and Jennings among strong options for Championship Week
Those who drafted Jamaal Charles for their fantasy teams had to be thrilled when he produced 195 receiving yards and five total touchdowns (51 standard-league fantasy points) in the fantasy playoffs this past week.
Owners of Adrian Peterson likely spent the No. 1 pick in the draft on him, only to not have him on Sunday. However, if you picked up someone by the name of "Matt Asiata" and played him against the Eagles, you got 24 points. Pair that with a kicker such as Dan Bailey or Justin Tucker, and suddenly that's 47 to 48 points from the most unexpected of places.
In the fantasy playoffs, the value of the player you drafted highly in August may be no better than the guy you just picked up off the waiver wire in December.
We'll try to give you as many options as possible for Championship Week, and no, Asiata is not one of them. That was a one-time situation. Here are the best and worst fantasy matchups for Week 16:
(Note: references to defensive rankings for the pass and run are based on Football Outsiders' DVOA metric, explained here).
Colin Kaepernick (plus-4 points)
He has picked it up in the past month, and the return of Michael Crabtree gives him three strong options at receiver. The Falcons rank 31st against the pass, and lousy defenses have not been much of a problem for Kaepernick.
To see the rest of the best and worst Week 16 fantasy matchups, you must be an ESPN Insider.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Berry: Fantasy facts, stats and advice in handy list form
- Karabell: Team-by-team RB outlook
- 2014 fantasy football sleepers, busts, breakouts
- Crawford: Top 10 fantasy 3B prospects
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
FANTASY FOOTBALL: WEEK 16
Jamaal Charles' huge day against the Raiders kept many fantasy owners' championship hopes alive and he's the consensus No. 1 back headed into Week 16 as well. Rankings »
- TMR's Top 10s
- Matthew Berry itemizes key fantasy football stats, facts and draft advice into 10 tidy lists of 10, including top fantasy football team names as submitted by you!
- Team-By-Team RB Outlook
- Eric Karabell takes a look at all 32 teams' RB situations, in terms of fantasy value.
- Fantasy Football Draft Kit
- Rankings, more