Week 16: Engel's Mailbag
- Jason, Indianapolis: I can keep up to two players. I have Larry Johnson, who is a surefire keeper, then I could also keep Willis McGahee or Maurice Jones-Drew. I know Jones-Drew is sharing carries but his weekly average for points is pretty high, and Fred Taylor isn't getting any younger. I also have young possible stars like Jerious Norwood and DeAngelo Williams.
Engel: McGahee does get the more regular touches than Jones-Drew, but amount of touches doesn't matter when Jones-Drew seems to accomplish more with a lesser workload. It doesn't matter that Jones-Drew doesn't get the amount of carries a regularly featured runner does, and he probably never will. Even if Taylor is about to decline more at age 30, Jones is a 5-7 running back who likely can't handle being a full-time RB. But he's going to continue to flourish as a part-timer, because he will get a lot of goal-line work and he can also score from longer distances. Sharing carries keeps Jones-Drew fresh, and he is more proven than Norwood or Williams and he is more of a scoring and big-play threat than McGahee. Jones-Drew might never be a featured runner by himself, but he's already a proven success as a part-timer and can statistically outperform guys who get more carries than he does. Jones-Drew should be your second keeper choice.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM