Carroll: Portis, Owens and Roethlisberger's return
Let's get to it:
• Like everyone else, the back and forth of Clinton Portis and Joe Gibbs made me think that Week 2 would be like Week 1 and that Portis would play. Cue Lee Corso -- not so fast! Portis actually injured the shoulder during his Week 1 game, as was masterfully reported by Andrea Kremer, which created a degree of uncertainty for Portis' return. When Portis originally injured his shoulder, the subluxation didn't worry me due to his strong upper body and lack of additional damage in the shoulder capsule. Top ortho Jim Andrews saw much the same. When Portis injured his rotator cuff, the group of muscles that holds the shoulder in place, the risk went up significantly. Depending on the severity of the cuff tear, the integrity of the shoulder might be compromised, meaning he's going to be dealing with this over and over until he's pushed to the surgeon's table. Indications are that the tear is minor, but let's be honest -- no one seems to be getting clear signals from the Redskins right now. Portis' value has to be downgraded on the uptick in risk.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Harris: Will Jordan Reed become top-tier TE?
- Matthew Berry: Love (and extra hate) for Week 8
- Fantasy Football Week 8 quarterback rankings
- Karabell: Week 8 flex rankings