Week 5: Injured defenders make a difference
- Most years a handful of surprises among fantasy defense/special teams units shakes up the rankings and allows commitment-shy owners to play the field for a while before settling down.
But with most of the NFL's projected top defenses chugging along as expected and the Seahawks, Bengals and Falcons approaching Week 5 byes, the pickings are fairly slim a month into the season. Under the circumstances, a normally viable unit's value could hinge on a seemingly minor flaw -- say, a single player injury. Here are four to consider moving forward:
Panthers LB Dan Morgan
Morgan has been sidelined since a concussion knocked him out of the Atlanta game in Week 1. It stands to reason that Carolina missed the speedy Morgan when the D was rung up for 252 rushing yards by the Falcons and, a week later, was gouged by Minnesota for 140.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM