Is it time to trade Chris Johnson?
Fantasy Foresight: Market for Johnson, case for Carson Palmer as QB1
Chris Johnson's 31-point performance against the Buffalo Bills this week was a cause for much celebration among those fantasy football owners who have him on their roster, but it was concurrently a cause of consternation because it brought up the possibility that he could be a great sell-high candidate.
Most sell-high candidates are labeled as such because the odds are low that they are going to continue producing at an elite pace, but Johnson's history is such that it is entirely possible he could generate high double-digit point totals on a consistent basis.
Johnson's history and initial draft-day value make it difficult to keep a level head about this situation, so this week's Fantasy Foresight article aims to put together a trade guide for those who own Johnson in fantasy leagues and for those owners who might want to make a trade offer for Johnson.
It starts by trying to establish the right value for Johnson, which centers on whether the trade is being made with short-term or long-term goals in mind.
Let's start with the short-term goals and define them as teams that are looking to maximize value over the next four weeks (or, to put it more bluntly, teams that need wins to get back into playoff contention).
To see whether fantasy football owners should trade Chris Johnson and why Carson Palmer could be a QB1, plus get access to all of Insider's NFL and fantasy coverage, sign up today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Carpenter: Filling category gaps
- McKitish: Top FBA waiver-wire targets
- Stock Watch: Wood up; Davis down
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Fantasy Football Week 8
How many fantasy points will Tom Brady put up overseas as the Patriots head to London to face the Rams?
Fantasy Football Tools• Week 8 Projections
• Roster Advisor
• 2012 Scoring Leaders | Points Against
• Most Added/Dropped (Past 7 days)
• NFL Nation blog
• Week 8 fantasy inactives | Full inactives list
• Byes: Bengals, Bills, Ravens, Texans
Week 8 Rankings
• Harris: The Hard Count
• Berry's Love/Hate
• Carpenter: Gridiron Challenge preview
• Daube: Trendspotting
• Cockcroft: Consistency Ratings
• Harris: Free-agent finds for Week 8
• Harris: Instant Impressions from Week 7
Bell Injury Blog
• Karabell: Four Downs from Sunday's games
• Kavanagh: Week 8 cheat sheet
• Karabell: Sneaky pickups
• Karabell: Week 8 flex rankings
• Karabell: Week 8 rankings reaction
• Football Outsiders: Top matchups
• Pro FB Focus: Analyzing platoons (Bills RBs)
• Goal-Line Grid: Through Week 7
• Joyner: Chris Johnson trade market
• Karabell: 2012 season rankings update
• Karabell: Four Downs -- Week 7 recap
• Friday: Fantasy Football Now
• Thursday: Berry's Love/Hate
• Wednesday: Buccaneers-Vikings preview
• Wednesday: Fantasy Focus on rankings
• Tuesday: Sell-high players
• Monday: Replacing Fred Davis
• Monday: Chris Johnson breaks out
• Friday, 11 a.m. ET: Stephania Bell
• Thursday, 3 p.m. ET: KC Joyner
• Thursday, 2 p.m. ET: Matthew Berry
• Thursday, 11 a.m. ET: Christopher Harris
• Wednesday, 3 p.m. ET: Eric Karabell
• Tuesday 11 a.m. ET: Stephania Bell
• Monday 11 a.m. ET: Tristan H. Cockcroft