Fantasy WRs on the rise, decline
Yards per route run reveals rising and falling fantasy receivers
The last time we examined yards per route run (YpRR) -- a measure of wide receiver productivity -- we focused on players at the top of the rankings to illustrate the statistic's relevance.
But the true fantasy value of YpRR comes not by measuring the value of the big guns but rather analyzing more obscure receivers who are playing well -- and pass-catchers who are underperforming.
While our full list includes 92 eligible players with a minimum of 40 snaps in route, we've gone inside the numbers to identify rising stars and fading starters who may have a fantasy impact.
Make no mistake, the Giants love Hixon. He was always the guy they wanted to be the third wide receiver behind Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz; regardless of how well Ramses Barden played against the Panthers, Hixon was always their first choice. Returning last week after a concussion suffered in Week 2, he was targeted 11 times for 114 yards against the Eagles, showing that Eli Manning was glad to have him back, too. When Nicks returns, Hixon will be demoted, but with the Giants playing 51 percent of their snaps in "11" personnel -- and passing on 81 percent of those -- he'll still see plenty of action.
To read more about which fantasy WRs you should target and avoid, plus access to all of Insider's NFL coverage, sign up today.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Cregan: Keep eye on 1+1+1 players
- Matthew Berry's Week 16 QB rankings
- Week 16 ranks reax: Why matchups matter
- The Week 15 disaster, MVP candidates ...
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Fantasy Football Week 5
The Saints may be 0-4, but Drew Brees is still piling up fantasy points. How will he fare against his former Chargers mates?
Fantasy Football Tools• Week 5 Projections
• Roster Advisor
• 2012 Scoring Leaders | Points Against
• Most Added/Dropped (Past 7 days)
• NFL Nation blog
• Week 5 fantasy inactives | Full inactives list
• Byes: Buccaneers, Cowboys, Lions, Raiders
Week 5 Rankings
• Harris: The Hard Count
• Berry's Love/Hate
• Carpenter: Gridiron Challenge preview
• Daube: Trendspotting
• Cockcroft: Consistency Ratings
• Harris: Free-agent finds for Week 5
• Harris: Instant Impressions from Week 4
Bell Injury Blog
• Karabell: Four Downs from Sunday's games
• Kavanagh: Week 5 cheat sheet
• Karabell: Sneaky pickups
• Karabell: Week 5 flex rankings
• Karabell: Week 5 rankings reaction
• Football Outsiders: Top matchups
• Pro Football Focus: WRs on the rise/decline
• Goal-Line Grid: Through Week 4
• Karabell: 2012 season rankings update
• Joyner: Stick with Mathews
• Karabell: Four Downs -- Week 4 recap
• Friday: Fantasy Football Now
• Thursday: Berry's Love/Hate
• Wednesday: Cardinals-Rams preview
• Wednesday: Fantasy Focus on rankings
• Tuesday: Tony Romo's value
• Monday: Michael Turner's value
• Monday: Focus -- Mendenhall's return
• Fri. Focus: Week 5 preview
• Thu. Focus: Berry's ranks; Chargers RBs
• Fantasy Underground: McFadden, S-Jax
• Wed. Focus: Hard Justice; Bolden, Hartline
• Tue. Focus: MNF recap, injury update
• Mon. Focus: Week 4 recap
• Friday, 1 p.m. ET: Matthew Berry
• Friday, 11 a.m. ET: Stephania Bell
• Thursday, 3 p.m. ET: KC Joyner
• Thursday, 11 a.m. ET: Christopher Harris
• Wednesday, 3 p.m. ET: Eric Karabell
• Tuesday 3 p.m. ET: Stephania Bell
• Tuesday 11 a.m. ET: AJ Mass
• Monday 11 a.m. ET: Tristan H. Cockcroft