Notebook: Donovan McNabb seems sharp
• Donovan McNabb has impressed in minicamp workouts with the Eagles so far, showing no major residual effects from last year's knee injury. McNabb reportedly left the practice field early for treatments on his knee, but appeared sharp and even ran a little as he worked with the first-team offense. While working in organized team activities is by no means a clear sign McNabb is going to fully regain his past form, all reports on his progress have been positive so far and fantasy leaguers can draft him in the middle rounds with hope, as long as they back him up with another quality starter for insurance.
• Shaun Alexander tried to allay concerns about his left foot, saying it had properly healed and he is doing just fine. Alexander told the Associated Press he was actually hearing inquiries from fantasy football players after he recently indicated his foot may still be cracked. "Some people were pulling me over on the side: Should I pick you?," Alexander said. "I am like 'You are in good shape. We are going to be all right.'" After Alexander said in May he might need more tests to see if his foot was still cracked, Mike Holmgren immediately shot down any such concerns and Alexander later followed by saying he is fine. Late last season, Holmgren indicated that Alexander's foot always might have the crack, but chances of another major injury with the crack were remote, according to doctors. Alexander has been cleared to practice and has shown no signs of lingering effects in minicamp. Still, even though he says he is doing well and looks good, I personally am reluctant to spend a top-five pick on any player with an injury concern, even if it's minor. I wouldn't consider drafting Alexander until late in the first round, and even then, I'd quickly grab another good backup for depth a few rounds later.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Matthew Berry: Love, hate and a requiem
- Karabell: Week 13 flex rankings
- Matthew Berry's fantasy football top 200 for Week 13
- Harris: Week 13 fantasy matchup tool