FFL: Sunday Review
Originally Published: October 16, 2005By Scott Engel | ESPN Fantasy Games
- Here are 10 key fantasy observations from Sunday's games, with analysis of the important trends and an eye toward next week and beyond. Thomas Jones' valiant outing: For much of the week, it appeared likely that Bears RB Thomas Jones would sit out against the Vikings in Week 6 because of a knee injury. But Jones reportedly convinced the coaching staff he could play, and delivered the most admirable performance of his career. He rushed for two scores for the second time this year, and now has six scoring runs in five games. Until this year, Jones was considered an annual fantasy disappointment. Now he has emerged as a must-start player, and you can't doubt his production, despite injuries and the adversity of playing with a rookie QB who often doesn't do enough to take pressure off him. Eli back to earth? Eli Manning, who had his breakthrough game against the Rams in Week 4, showed he is still a work in progress in the Giants' loss at Dallas. Manning threw just one TD pass, and he turned the ball over twice. In a hostile environment, in the thick of a major rivalry, Manning didn't completely fall apart, but he also showed that he is not going to deliver very good numbers on a regular basis just yet. Use Manning judiciously based on his matchup and venue. He should fare well at home against Denver next week and he does have the 49ers and Vikings ahead on the schedule. But Manning has not faced the Redskins or Eagles yet, and he could be a risky start in those matchups later in the year, although he should play better at home against Washington. Keep in mind he has also thrown only one TD pass in two of three road games so far, while he has six TD passes in two home starts.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com