FBA: Weekly scrubs (Feb. 14)
- Eight weeks left, everyone. Try to focus. This can be an overwhelmingly busy time of year for anyone with a diverse fantasy portfolio. Once fantasy baseball arrives, a hoops team can fall into disrepair. You might think that the NBA All-Star break allows you to safely turn your attention to various Uptons and Drews. But the trade deadline is only a week away. Moves are about to happen -- big six-player, franchise-altering, Greg Oden-coveting moves. And before the moves happen, there are rumors. And when the rumors hit, there's really only one thing to do: fidget anxiously at your PC and troll for updates. That can go on all day. Like I said, it's a busy time of year.
If you have a roster spot to play with -- and most scuffling owners do, even if they can't admit it -- this is a good time to speculate. At the very least, you should think through the implications of various rumored deals while you browse the waiver wire flotsam. Here's how it's done:
Rudy Gay, Memphis G/F, 22.8 percent owned
The Memphis Grizzlies have exactly 14 wins. That's 10 fewer than the sub-.500 team above them in their division. They are, without a doubt, the worst team in the Western Conference. It really shouldn't have taken so long for Rudy Gay to crack (or to recrack) the starting lineup. As a starter, the 6-foot-9 Gay has averaged 10.6 points and 5.0 rebounds. He's also getting basically a steal and a block per game, and he had two steals and three blocks against New Orleans last night. That's decent production in the defensive categories from a guard. If Memphis trades Pau Gasol for a combination of picks and less-useful players, it should result in more minutes and shots for Rudy. It's difficult to imagine Memphis making a move that limits Gay's floor time. The Grizzlies get Seattle (103.1 PPG allowed), Golden State (107.7), and Denver (104.0) following the All-Star break. You can expect Gay's mini-streak of double-digit point totals to continue.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM