Cole, Zunino profiles; top prospects
- As you may have noticed, two elite prospects were promoted in the past week. The Pittsburgh Pirates called up right-handed starting pitcher Gerrit Cole, whose pure stuff rivals that of anyone in the game, and the Seattle Mariners turned to Mike Zunino, baseball's top catching prospect.[+] EnlargeKen Babbitt/Four Seam Images/AP ImagesGerrit Cole posted a 2.91 ERA and 1.06 WHIP at Triple-A Indianapolis prior to his call-up.
Cole was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2011 draft and recipient of a draft-record $8 million bonus. He has an impressive arsenal that includes an upper-90s four-seam fastball, a mid-90s two-seamer, a wipeout slider and a tantalizing changeup. He began his big league career Tuesday night by fanning Gregor Blanco on three consecutive 96 mph heaters, and he averaged 96 mph on his fastball for his 6 1/3 innings.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
FANTASY TOP HEADLINES
- Fantasy Baseball: H2H category mock draft
- Cockcroft: LABR-AL draft recap
- Fantasy Hockey Forecaster: Week 21
- 2014 NL-only LABR auction recap
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM